Can I use Subutex if I am taking niacin?

If you are taking niacin (vitamin B3), talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Niacin, which is sometimes prescribed to lower cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, can interact with Subutex. That interaction may affect how both drugs work and raise your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of one or both medicines and monitor you for side effects.

Niacin is one of many substances that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...