Can I use Subutex if I am taking nefazodone?

If you are taking the antidepressant drug nefazodone, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Nefazodone may interact with Subutex in ways that are dangerous, partly because both drugs work by suppressing the central nervous system. Nefazodone may also raise your blood levels of Subutex. This can increase your risk for serious side effects, including excessive sleepiness, trouble breathing, overdose and death. If you must take both drugs, your doctor will most likely put you on low doses and monitor you closely for side effects.

Nefazodone is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...