Can I use Subutex if I am taking metronidazole?

If you are taking the antibiotic metronidazole, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Metronidazole may interact with Subutex, possibly raising your blood levels of Subutex and consequently your risk for some side effects. If you must take both drugs, your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Subutex and may monitor you for side effects.

Metronidazole is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...