Can I use Subutex if I am taking fluvoxamine?

If you are taking fluvoxamine, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. It may not be safe for you to combine Subutex and fluvoxamine, which is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety.

Both drugs work by suppressing the central nervous system, and taking them together increases this suppression. That may raise your risk of serious side effects, such as drowsiness, trouble breathing, overdose and death. If you must take both these drugs, your doctor is likely to reduce their doses and monitor you closely for side effects.

Fluvoxamine is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...