Can I use Subutex if I am taking fluvoxamine?

If you are taking fluvoxamine, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. It may not be safe for you to combine Subutex and fluvoxamine, which is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety.

Both drugs work by suppressing the central nervous system, and taking them together increases this suppression. That may raise your risk of serious side effects, such as drowsiness, trouble breathing, overdose and death. If you must take both these drugs, your doctor is likely to reduce their doses and monitor you closely for side effects.

Fluvoxamine is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...