Can I use Subutex if I am taking fluoxetine?

If you are taking the antidepressant drug fluoxetine, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Fluoxetine, which is prescribed to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks and other mental health problems, may interact with Subutex and cause dangerous side effects.

Both drugs work by suppressing the central nervous system, and taking them together increases this suppression. That may raise your risk of serious side effects, including excessive sleepiness, trouble breathing, overdose and death. If you need to take both, your doctor will likely reduce your dose of the drugs and monitor you very closely for side effects.

Fluoxetine is one of many drugs that can interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...