Can I use Subutex if I am taking ethosuximide?

If you take the anticonvulsant drug ethosuximide, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Ethosuximide and other drugs used to treat seizures may interact with Subutex. That may raise your risk of side effects and affect how well both medicines work. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of one or both of these drugs and monitor you closely for side effects.

Ethosuximide is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...