Can I use Subutex if I am taking erythromycin?

If you are taking the antibiotic erythromycin, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin and narcotic painkillers like morphine. Erythromycin and certain other antibiotics may raise your blood levels of Subutex. Your doctor may want to adjust your dose of Subutex to reduce your risk of side effects and monitor you closely.

Erythromycin is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...