Can I use Subutex if I am taking diltiazem?

If you take the blood pressure medication diltiazem, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a drug that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Diltiazem may interact with Subutex, which may affect how well either drug works and raise your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your doses of medications and monitor you closely for side effects.

Diltiazem is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...