Can I use Subutex if I am taking cyclosporine?

If you are taking cyclosporine, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a drug that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, such as heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Cyclosporine, a drug that suppresses the immune system, may interact with Subutex, possibly causing side effects or affecting how well either or both drugs work. Your doctor may need to adjust your doses and monitor you closely for side effects.

Cyclosporine is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without consulting your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...