Can I use Subutex if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine prescribed to treat opioid addiction in adults. In studies, Subutex does not appear to worsen kidney disease; research suggests that people with kidney disease can tolerate a normal dose of Subutex. However, your doctor may want to monitor your health closely while you're on Subutex to make sure that the drug is not affecting your kidney function and that you are responding well to the drug overall.

Update your doctor on any changes in your health while you are taking Subutex. If you have symptoms of possible kidney problems -- such as trouble urinating or pain in the lower back or side -- call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...