Can I use Subutex if I have a history of seizures?

If you have a history of seizures, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine prescribed to adults who are addicted to opioids, such as heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Your history of seizures may increase your risk for potentially serious side effects from Subutex.

In addition, some medications used to treat seizures may not be safe to take along with Subutex. Before you start taking Subutex, give your doctor a detailed medical history. Talk about your seizure condition, and tell him or her if you are currently taking seizure medicine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...