Can I use Subutex if I have a history of gallbladder problems?

If you have a history of gallbladder problems, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin and narcotic painkillers like morphine. Subutex has been shown to increase pressure on the gallbladder and the ducts connected to it, possibly worsening your gallbladder problems. Your doctor may want to monitor you closely, including the functioning of your gallbladder, while you are on Subutex. Alternatively, he or she may determine that Subutex is not the right medicine for you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...