Can I use Subutex if I have a history of gallbladder problems?

If you have a history of gallbladder problems, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin and narcotic painkillers like morphine. Subutex has been shown to increase pressure on the gallbladder and the ducts connected to it, possibly worsening your gallbladder problems. Your doctor may want to monitor you closely, including the functioning of your gallbladder, while you are on Subutex. Alternatively, he or she may determine that Subutex is not the right medicine for you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...