Can I use Subutex if I have a history of gallbladder problems?

If you have a history of gallbladder problems, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioid drugs, including heroin and narcotic painkillers like morphine. Subutex has been shown to increase pressure on the gallbladder and the ducts connected to it, possibly worsening your gallbladder problems. Your doctor may want to monitor you closely, including the functioning of your gallbladder, while you are on Subutex. Alternatively, he or she may determine that Subutex is not the right medicine for you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...