Can I use Nucynta if I am taking MAO inhibitors?

You should not take the pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) if you're using an antidepressant from the group called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) or if you've taken one in the past 14 days. Both Nucynta and MAOIs increase your body’s level of the chemical norepinephrine. In combination they may cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems. MAOIs include: isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Emsam, Eldepryl, Zelapar) and tranylcypromine (Parnate).

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...