Can I use Nucynta if I have a history of hypoxia?

Unless it is absolutely necessary, your doctor will not prescribe the pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) if you have a medical condition that has caused hypoxia, in which not enough oxygen is being carried to all or part of your body. Because Nucynta depresses the respiratory system, it can worsen this serious condition.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...