Can I use Nucynta if I have a history of hypothyroidism?

If you have hypothyroidism (a low-functioning thyroid) and it's well controlled with medication, your doctor may decide that it's safe for you to take Nucynta (tapentadol) to manage chronic pain. However, if your hypothyroidism is not being adequately treated, you may have breathing problems that make it unsafe for you to take Nucynta, because Nucynta can slow your breathing rate or even cause you to stop breathing. If your doctor prescribes Nucynta, make sure he or she knows about your low-thyroid condition and what medication you're taking for it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...