Can I use Nucynta if I have a history of hypothyroidism?

If you have hypothyroidism (a low-functioning thyroid) and it's well controlled with medication, your doctor may decide that it's safe for you to take Nucynta (tapentadol) to manage chronic pain. However, if your hypothyroidism is not being adequately treated, you may have breathing problems that make it unsafe for you to take Nucynta, because Nucynta can slow your breathing rate or even cause you to stop breathing. If your doctor prescribes Nucynta, make sure he or she knows about your low-thyroid condition and what medication you're taking for it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...