Can I use Kadian if I am taking an antidepressant?

If you're on an antidepressant, talk to your doctor before taking the extended-release pain medication Kadian (morphine). It is dangerous to combine Kadian with a certain type of antidepressant known as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). In fact, you should not take Kadian within 14 days of taking an MAOI, because doing so may lead to serious or life-threatening side effects. Examples of MAOIs include the following:
  • phenelzine
  • tranylcypromine
  • isocarboxazid
  • selegiline

In addition, antidepressants such as the following slow the functioning of the nervous system and can increase the risk of serious or potentially life-threatening side effects if taken with Kadian: 

• amitriptyline
  • amoxapine
  • clomipramine
  • desipramine
  • doxepin
  • imipramine
  • nortriptyline
  • protriptyline
  • trimipramine

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...