Can I use Fentora if I am taking isocarboxazid (Marplan)?

You can't use Fentora (fentanyl), a medication for treating breakthrough cancer pain, if you take the antidepressant isocarboxazid (Marplan). In fact, you can't start taking Fentora until at least two weeks have passed since your last dose of isocarboxazid. These two drugs are dangerous in combination -- taken at the same time, they put you at high risk for shock, seizure, coma, low blood pressure and a potentially fatal slowdown of breathing.

Work out a plan with your doctor to stop isocarboxazid before starting Fentora and ask about substituting a newer type of antidepressant, such as nefazodone (Serzone), fluvoxamine (Luvox) or fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem). Although these types of antidepressants can also interact with Fentora, the risks can usually be lessened when you work closely with your doctor to find the right doses of each.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...