Can I use Fentora if I take verapamil (Calan, Covera, Verelan)?

If you take the blood pressure medicine verapamil (Calan, Verelan) while you're using Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for breakthrough cancer pain, you'll need to be carefully monitored. Verapamil can cause fentanyl -- the active ingredient in Fentora -- to build up in your body, increasing the risk of coma or fatal overdose. You and your doctor should watch for signs of a buildup, such as increased sleepiness or a sighing pattern of breathing (in which a deep breath is followed by a long pause), especially when your dose of Fentora is increased.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...