Can I use Fentora if I take tranylcypromine (Parnate)?

You can't use Fentora (fentanyl), a medication for breakthrough cancer pain, if you're on the antidepressant tranylcypromine (Parnate). In fact, you can't start taking Fentora until at least two weeks have passed since your last dose of tranylcypromine. These two drugs dangerously interact -- the combination puts you at high risk for shock, seizure, coma, low blood pressure and a potentially fatal slowdown of breathing.

Work out a plan with your doctor to stop tranylcypromine before starting Fentora. Ask about substituting a newer type of antidepressant, such as nefazodone (Serzone), fluvoxamine (Luvox) or fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem). Although these types of antidepressants can also interact with Fentora, the risks can usually be lessened when you work closely with your doctor to find the right dose of each.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...