Can I use Fentora if I take rifampin?

You can take Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain, if you're on the tuberculosis medicine rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane; in Rifamate and IsonaRif). However, the two drugs do interact. Rifampin makes Fentora less effective, because it speeds up the body's excretion of the pain drug. But with tweaking, your doctor should be able to balance the two medicines so they are both effective.

Once this balance is achieved, it's very important not to stop taking either medicine without consulting with your doctor first. Stopping rifampin while you're still on the same dose of Fentora puts you at risk for serious side effects, including a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...