Can I use Fentora if I take rifabutin (Mycobutin)?

You can take Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain, if you're on rifabutin (Mycobutin), used in the treatment of HIV and tuberculosis. But the two drugs do interact. Rifabutin makes Fentora less effective, because it speeds up the body's excretion of the pain drug. Still, with some careful tweaking of dosages, your doctor should be able to balance the two medicines so they are both effective.

Once this balance is achieved, it's very important not to stop taking either medicine without consulting with your doctor first. Stopping rifabutin while you're still on the same dose of Fentora puts you at risk for serious side effects, including a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...