Can I use Fentora if I take antibiotics?

If you take certain antibiotics, such as clarithromycin (Biaxin) or erythromycin (Erythocin), while you're using Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for breakthrough cancer pain, you'll need to be carefully monitored. Some antibiotics can cause fentanyl -- the active ingredient in Fentora -- to build up in your body, increasing the risk of coma or fatal overdose. You and your doctor should watch for signs of a buildup, such as increased sleepiness or a sighing pattern of breathing (in which a deep breath is followed by a long pause), especially when your dose of Fentora is increased.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...