Can I use Exalgo if I am taking butorphanol?

If you're taking the pain relief medication butorphanol (Stadol), you should not also take Exalgo (hydromorphone). Exalgo is also a pain reliever, prescribed for continuous moderate to severe pain. Both drugs are opioids, which mean they work on the same receptors in the brain. For that reason, butorphanol can cause Exalgo to be less effective. Make sure your doctor knows that you're on butorphanol if he or she wants to prescribe Exalgo.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...