Can I use Exalgo if I am taking butorphanol?

If you're taking the pain relief medication butorphanol (Stadol), you should not also take Exalgo (hydromorphone). Exalgo is also a pain reliever, prescribed for continuous moderate to severe pain. Both drugs are opioids, which mean they work on the same receptors in the brain. For that reason, butorphanol can cause Exalgo to be less effective. Make sure your doctor knows that you're on butorphanol if he or she wants to prescribe Exalgo.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...