Can I use Dilaudid if I am taking buprenorphine?

Taking Dilaudid (hydromorphone) at the same time as buprenorphine (Subutex) may not be advisable. Dilaudid is a pain reliever that belongs to a group of drugs called opioid analgesics. Buprenorphine is prescribed to people who are stopping the use of opioid drugs to help manage their symptoms and prevent withdrawal symptoms. Taking buprenorphine can reduce the pain-relieving effect of Dilaudid. If you're already taking buprenorphine, make sure your doctor knows if he or she prescribes Dilaudid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...