Can I use ConZip if I take an SNRI?

Your doctor will be very careful about prescribing the pain medication ConZip (tramadol) for you if you're taking an antidepressant that's a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) such as venlafaxine (Effexor), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and duloxetine (Cymbalta). The combination of ConZip and an SNRI can increase the risk of serious side effects, including seizures and serotonin syndrome, a rare but deadly condition that can occur if levels of the brain chemical serotonin become too high. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome include agitation, hallucinations, coma, rapid heartbeat, dramatic blood-pressure changes, very high fever, coordination problems, twitching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Also, if you're taking an SNRI to treat depression, be aware that ConZip increases the risk of suicide in people who are already vulnerable to suicidal thoughts or behaviors. Be sure your doctor knows about your depression and how it's being treated before you start to take ConZip.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...