Can I use ConZip if I take an SNRI?

Your doctor will be very careful about prescribing the pain medication ConZip (tramadol) for you if you're taking an antidepressant that's a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) such as venlafaxine (Effexor), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and duloxetine (Cymbalta). The combination of ConZip and an SNRI can increase the risk of serious side effects, including seizures and serotonin syndrome, a rare but deadly condition that can occur if levels of the brain chemical serotonin become too high. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome include agitation, hallucinations, coma, rapid heartbeat, dramatic blood-pressure changes, very high fever, coordination problems, twitching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Also, if you're taking an SNRI to treat depression, be aware that ConZip increases the risk of suicide in people who are already vulnerable to suicidal thoughts or behaviors. Be sure your doctor knows about your depression and how it's being treated before you start to take ConZip.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...