Can I use Butrans if I have a history of depression?

You can use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of depression, but you should discuss your mental health history, as well as any antidepressant medications you are taking now, with your doctor.

It's important to know that you should not take any of a class of antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) within two weeks of starting Butrans, because these can interact. Butrans is a seven-day skin patch that delivers opioid painkiller round-the-clock for the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It is a central nervous system depressant and can cause side effects such as anxiety.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...