Can I use Butrans if I have a history of alcoholism?

You may be able to use Butrans if you have a history of alcoholism, but your doctor may need to evaluate your risk of addictive behavior to make sure you can use it safely. Butrans (buprenorphine), an opioid seven-day patch for round-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain, is a narcotic with the potential for abuse. What's more, consuming alcohol along with Butrans can be dangerous, even deadly, because both alcohol and Butrans depress the central nervous system. You should not use Butrans if you can't completely avoid alcohol.

If you have a history of addiction to alcohol or any other substance, talk to your doctor before using Butrans.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...