Can I use Butrans if I have a history of alcoholism?

You may be able to use Butrans if you have a history of alcoholism, but your doctor may need to evaluate your risk of addictive behavior to make sure you can use it safely. Butrans (buprenorphine), an opioid seven-day patch for round-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain, is a narcotic with the potential for abuse. What's more, consuming alcohol along with Butrans can be dangerous, even deadly, because both alcohol and Butrans depress the central nervous system. You should not use Butrans if you can't completely avoid alcohol.

If you have a history of addiction to alcohol or any other substance, talk to your doctor before using Butrans.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...