Can I use Avinza if I am taking selegiline?

You should not use the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you take the anti-Parkinson's medication selegiline (Eldepryl), or if you have taken it in the last 14 days. Selegiline can increase Avinza's potency and cause serious overdose symptoms, such as slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures, shock, coma and even death. Before starting Avinza, it's important that you tell your doctor if you've taken selegiline.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...