Can I use Avinza if I am taking phenelzine?

You should not use the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you take the antidepressant phenelzine (Nardil), of if you have taken it or any other monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) in the last 14 days. Phenelzine and other MAOIs can increase Avinza's potency and cause serious overdose symptoms, such as slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures, shock, coma and even death. Before starting Avinza, it's important that you tell your doctor if you've taken phenelzine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...