Can I use Avinza if I am taking phenelzine?

You should not use the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you take the antidepressant phenelzine (Nardil), of if you have taken it or any other monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) in the last 14 days. Phenelzine and other MAOIs can increase Avinza's potency and cause serious overdose symptoms, such as slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures, shock, coma and even death. Before starting Avinza, it's important that you tell your doctor if you've taken phenelzine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...