Can I use Avinza if I take butorphanol?

In most cases, you should not use the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you take butorphanol (Stadol). Avinza is an opioid drug and butorphanol is an opioid-blocker, so Avinza may be less effective or not work at all if you also take butorphanol. In addition to not getting adequate pain relief, you may experience withdrawal symptoms if you've been taking Avinza for a long time and then add butorphanol.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...