Can I use Avinza if I take buprenorphine?

In most cases, you should not use the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you take buprenorphine (Subutex, Suboxone). Avinza is an opioid drug and buprenorphine is an opioid-blocker, so Avinza may be less effective or not work at all if you also take buprenorphine. In addition to not getting adequate pain relief, you may experience withdrawal symptoms if you've been taking Avinza for a long time and then add buprenorphine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...