Can I be treated with methadone at home?

Methadone is a full agonist with high liver uptake when taken orally and is released slowly over the day. It must be dispensed from federal- and state-regulated clinics, and you can’t do take-homes until you’ve proved that you can follow through with treatment. After two weeks to two months, you may be able to take home-monitored doses of liquid methadone. You need to be tapered off methadone. 

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...