Can I be treated with methadone at home?

Methadone is a full agonist with high liver uptake when taken orally and is released slowly over the day. It must be dispensed from federal- and state-regulated clinics, and you can’t do take-homes until you’ve proved that you can follow through with treatment. After two weeks to two months, you may be able to take home-monitored doses of liquid methadone. You need to be tapered off methadone. 

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...