Can taking methadone be habit forming?

Taking methadone can be habit forming, which means that you feel the need to take more of it than you should. Methadone is an opioid that's used to treat pain or to prevent withdrawal symptoms in people who have stopped taking narcotic drugs. It is very important that you take this drug exactly as your doctor tells you to. If you find yourself wanting to take more methadone than your prescription calls for, let your doctor know right away.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...