Can I switch from another fentanyl product to Fentora?

It's possible to switch from one product containing fentanyl to Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for treating breakthrough cancer pain, but it's extremely important that you do it under the close supervision of a doctor. That's because other fentanyl medicines are not equivalent to Fentora. For instance, Actiq, which also contains fentanyl in a form you dissolve in your mouth, is absorbed and used by your body at a different rate than Fentora is. You can't substitute a dose of Fentora for the same dose of Actiq without running the risk of a fatal overdose. Talk to your doctor about how to safely switch to Fentora from another fentanyl prescription.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...