Can I switch from another fentanyl product to Fentora?

It's possible to switch from one product containing fentanyl to Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for treating breakthrough cancer pain, but it's extremely important that you do it under the close supervision of a doctor. That's because other fentanyl medicines are not equivalent to Fentora. For instance, Actiq, which also contains fentanyl in a form you dissolve in your mouth, is absorbed and used by your body at a different rate than Fentora is. You can't substitute a dose of Fentora for the same dose of Actiq without running the risk of a fatal overdose. Talk to your doctor about how to safely switch to Fentora from another fentanyl prescription.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...