My pain is gone. Can I stop taking morphine controlled release?

Do not assume that it's okay to stop taking morphine controlled release if your pain goes away. Contact your doctor for instructions on stopping your use of this medication. The doctor may want you to reduce your dose gradually. Abruptly quitting morphine controlled release could cause you to develop withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms may include anxiety, nausea, insomnia and others.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...