Can I use Rybix ODT if I am taking St. John's wort?

Your doctor may instruct you to stop taking St. John's wort if he or she gives you a prescription for Rybix ODT (tramadol). Rybix ODT is sometimes prescribed for the relief of moderate to moderately severe chronic pain. St. John's wort is an herbal remedy that some people use to treat depression and other health problems. St. John's wort may interfere with the way your body processes Rybix ODT, so it's unwise to combine the two. Combining Rybix ODT and St. John's wort may increase the risk for a condition called serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome can result in hallucinations, loss of muscle coordination, gastrointestinal problems and other serious complications. In extreme cases, serotonin syndrome can induce a coma or be fatal. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, both prescription and over-the-counter, before taking Rybix ODT.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...