Can I use Rybix ODT if I am taking St. John's wort?

Your doctor may instruct you to stop taking St. John's wort if he or she gives you a prescription for Rybix ODT (tramadol). Rybix ODT is sometimes prescribed for the relief of moderate to moderately severe chronic pain. St. John's wort is an herbal remedy that some people use to treat depression and other health problems. St. John's wort may interfere with the way your body processes Rybix ODT, so it's unwise to combine the two. Combining Rybix ODT and St. John's wort may increase the risk for a condition called serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome can result in hallucinations, loss of muscle coordination, gastrointestinal problems and other serious complications. In extreme cases, serotonin syndrome can induce a coma or be fatal. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, both prescription and over-the-counter, before taking Rybix ODT.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...