Can I use Rybix ODT if I have a history of breathing problems?

If you have a history of breathing problems, your doctor may decide that you're not a good candidate for Rybix ODT (tramadol). Rybix ODT is a medication prescribed for relief of moderate to moderately severe chronic pain. It belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which have been known to worsen some existing breathing problems, such as those caused by sleep apnea, heavy smoking, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, drinking alcohol or taking other medications that depress breathing. If you've had breathing difficulties in the past, your doctor will probably prescribe a different type of pain reliever.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...