Can I receive Buprenex if I have a history of respiratory problems?

If you have a history of respiratory problems, your doctor will be cautious about giving you Buprenex (buprenorphine). This drug, which is a powerful narcotic that's given by injection to relieve pain, can interfere with normal breathing. This could be dangerous for someone who has a condition that affects breathing. If your doctor decides to give you Buprenex, he or she will likely lower the typical dosage to help prevent breathing problems.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...