Can I use Opana if I have a history of digestive diseases?

You should not take the pain medication Opana (oxymorphone) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowel obstruction that prevents digested food from passing through the intestines. Because Opana tends to slow down muscle contractions in your digestive tract, it can worsen this condition. If your doctor wants to prescribe Opana for you, speak up about your paralytic ileus so that he or she can find another medication that will be safe and effective for you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...