Can I use MS Contin if I am taking selegiline?

Do not use the pain medication MS Contin (morphine) if you're taking the anti-Parkinson's medication selegiline (Eldepryl) or have taken it in the last 14 days. Selegiline can increase MS Contin's potency and lead to serious overdose symptoms such as slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures, shock, coma and even death. Before starting MS Contin, it's critical that you let your doctor know if you've taken selegiline.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...