Can I use MS Contin if I am taking cimetidine?

You can take the pain medication MS Contin (morphine) while also taking cimetidine (Tagamet), which is an antacid. Your doctor will monitor you closely, though. When MS Contin and cimetidine are taken together, there's an increased risk of serious breathing problems. Make sure your doctor knows about all medications (prescription and nonprescription) and supplements you take before you use MS Contin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...