Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of lung disease?

If you have a history of lung disease, you may not be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. MS Contin is not recommended for people who have trouble breathing, severe asthma or other lung problems. These conditions may increase the risk of respiratory depression, in which your breathing gets so slow and shallow, you don't get enough oxygen. This side effect of MS Contin can be life-threatening.

Talk to your doctor about whether you can use MS Contin even with a history of lung disease.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...