Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of lung disease?

If you have a history of lung disease, you may not be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. MS Contin is not recommended for people who have trouble breathing, severe asthma or other lung problems. These conditions may increase the risk of respiratory depression, in which your breathing gets so slow and shallow, you don't get enough oxygen. This side effect of MS Contin can be life-threatening.

Talk to your doctor about whether you can use MS Contin even with a history of lung disease.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...