Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of depression?

Even if you have a history of depression, you may be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. Before you start this drug, tell your doctor if you have a history of mental health problems -- your doctor will consider that along with numerous other factors when determining whether or not MS Contin is right for you. Anyone who uses MS Contin faces a risk for opioid abuse, but people with a personal or family history of mental illness are at increased risk for developing this problem.

You should also tell your doctor if you're on an antidepressant because some of these drugs may interact with MS Contin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...