Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of depression?

Even if you have a history of depression, you may be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. Before you start this drug, tell your doctor if you have a history of mental health problems -- your doctor will consider that along with numerous other factors when determining whether or not MS Contin is right for you. Anyone who uses MS Contin faces a risk for opioid abuse, but people with a personal or family history of mental illness are at increased risk for developing this problem.

You should also tell your doctor if you're on an antidepressant because some of these drugs may interact with MS Contin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...