Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of anxiety?

Even if you have a history of anxiety, you may be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. Before you start this drug, tell your doctor if you have a history of mental health problems -- your doctor will consider that along with numerous other factors when determining whether or not MS Contin is right for you. Anyone who uses MS Contin faces a risk for opioid abuse, but people with a personal or family history of mental illness are at increased risk for developing this problem.

You should also tell your doctor if you're on an antianxiety medication because some of these drugs may interfere with MS Contin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...