Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of anxiety?

Even if you have a history of anxiety, you may be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. Before you start this drug, tell your doctor if you have a history of mental health problems -- your doctor will consider that along with numerous other factors when determining whether or not MS Contin is right for you. Anyone who uses MS Contin faces a risk for opioid abuse, but people with a personal or family history of mental illness are at increased risk for developing this problem.

You should also tell your doctor if you're on an antianxiety medication because some of these drugs may interfere with MS Contin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...