Can I use MS Contin if I have a history of alcoholism?

Even if you have a history of alcoholism, you may be able to use MS Contin (morphine), which is typically prescribed for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe pain that's expected to last for an extended period of time. However, you should tell your doctor about your history before you start taking MS Contin. Anyone who uses this drug is at risk for opioid abuse, but the risk is higher for people with a personal or family history of drug or alcohol abuse or addiction.

You shouldn't take MS Contin if you can't completely abstain from alcohol and any medicines that contain alcohol. Using alcohol with MS Contin increases the risk of serious side effects, including life-threatening respiratory depression.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...