Can I use Fentora if I take an antifungal medicine?

If you take certain antifungal medicines, such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), and ketoconazole (Nizoral), while you're using Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for breakthrough cancer pain, you'll need to be carefully monitored. Some antifungals can cause fentanyl -- the active ingredient in Fentora -- to build up in your body, increasing the risk of coma or fatal overdose. You and your doctor should watch for signs of a buildup, such as increased sleepiness or a sighing pattern of breathing (in which a deep breath is followed by a long pause), especially when your dose of Fentora is increased.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...