Can I use Fentora if I take an antifungal medicine?

If you take certain antifungal medicines, such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), and ketoconazole (Nizoral), while you're using Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill for breakthrough cancer pain, you'll need to be carefully monitored. Some antifungals can cause fentanyl -- the active ingredient in Fentora -- to build up in your body, increasing the risk of coma or fatal overdose. You and your doctor should watch for signs of a buildup, such as increased sleepiness or a sighing pattern of breathing (in which a deep breath is followed by a long pause), especially when your dose of Fentora is increased.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...