Can I use Fentora if I take St. John's wort?

Doctors generally advise against using the herbal remedy St. John's wort if you take Fentora (fentanyl), a medication for breakthrough cancer pain. That's because St. John's Wort speeds up the body's excretion of Fentora, making it less effective against pain.

Talk with your doctor about stopping St. John's wort before you start taking Fentora. If you feel strongly that you want to continue using this herbal remedy, find out if your doctor is willing to work closely with you to find the right balance between the two substances so they are both effective. Once this balance is achieved, it's very important not to stop taking either without talking with your doctor first. Stopping St. John's wort while you're still on the same dose of Fentora puts you at risk for serious side effects, including a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...