Can I use Fentora if I take St. John's wort?

Doctors generally advise against using the herbal remedy St. John's wort if you take Fentora (fentanyl), a medication for breakthrough cancer pain. That's because St. John's Wort speeds up the body's excretion of Fentora, making it less effective against pain.

Talk with your doctor about stopping St. John's wort before you start taking Fentora. If you feel strongly that you want to continue using this herbal remedy, find out if your doctor is willing to work closely with you to find the right balance between the two substances so they are both effective. Once this balance is achieved, it's very important not to stop taking either without talking with your doctor first. Stopping St. John's wort while you're still on the same dose of Fentora puts you at risk for serious side effects, including a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...