Can I use Fentora if I have a history of a slow heartbeat?

A history of a slow heartbeat doesn't necessarily mean you can't use Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain. But Fentora might worsen your condition, placing you at higher risk for one of this drug's most serious side effects, a potentially fatal slowdown of breathing. Talk to your doctor so the two of you can weigh the risks of using the drug versus your need for greater pain relief.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...