Can I use Fentora if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, talk with your doctor about whether you can use Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain. Experts say there isn't enough information about the drug's risks versus benefits in patients with kidney disease to make a general recommendation. If your doctor thinks Fentora makes sense for you, he or she is likely to prescribe it cautiously, and pay special attention to dosing, because the kidneys play a role in how the drug is excreted.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...