Can I use Fentora if I have a history of liver disease?

If you have a history of liver disease, talk with your doctor about whether you can use Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain. Experts say there isn't enough information about the drug's risks versus benefits in patients with liver disease to make a general recommendation. If your doctor thinks Fentora makes sense for you, he or she is likely to prescribe it cautiously, and pay special attention to dosing, because the liver plays a role in how the drug is metabolized. 

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...